Soul mates and twin flames have become popular terms in today’s culture but we must recognize there is a difference between soul mates and twin flames. There are many misunderstandings of the true nature of these relationships and the Hollywood version of it is wrong. They are spiritual partnerships, geared toward personal and spiritual growth, not absurd ‘happily ever after’ romantic comedies that all have the same schtick and story-line.
We realize that not everyone on the planet, or on the internet for that matter, will have the same theories or belief system about soul mate and twin flame relationships that we do. These are what we consider the main differences between soul mates and twin flames.
Difference Between Soul Mates and Twin Flames
- In twin flame relationships painful personal growth has already occurred as a result of being in one, or several, soul mate relationships before meeting a twin flame, although that is not always the case. The biggest difference between soul mates and a twin flames is the growth occurring from a twin flame will be nurturing, supportive growth, while that of a soul mate can be difficult and at times personally traumatic. This is why we maintain twin flames meet later in life because they need these experiences first.
- Many people can confuse a soul mate relationship for a twin flame one, but usually not the other way around. A twin flame relationship is NOT a soul mate relationship on steroids. Many soul mates run from each other during the course of the relationship, which is usually part of the soul mate challenge. This should rarely happen between twin flames because as old souls they know they prepared for this reunion before they were born. This is why we believe the twin flame runner is a myth.
- Twin flames have a deep sense of coming together for a higher purpose than just having a cool relationship with great sex. In a twin flame relationship, sex is not as important as it is to a soul mate connection. This does not indicate sex with a twin flame will be boring, it will be mind-blowing, but the divine purpose of the twin flame union goes beyond the physical plane. A soul mate relationship, although a spiritual partnership, does have a lot more focus on the sexual component. The chemistry will be great, so enjoy yourselves! And we have to say this, just because you have great sexual chemistry with someone does not mean they are your soul mate.
- In a twin flame relationship there are no insecurities or worries because this relationship comes from a place of love, not fear. Even during times of separation there is faith in the twin flame connection and an innate knowing that brings peace. During a soul mate separation however, the soul mate who was left may feel abandoned. They have a real fear their soul mate will never return. This fear can manifest into obsessive behaviors especially when they lack faith in their soul mate. It is important to be able to address these fears and keep obsessive thoughts and behaviors in check.
- Soul mate relationships, while they can be wonderful and deeply profound experiences, are almost never pain-free. The very nature of a soul mate relationship is personal and spiritual growth. Unfortunately most people can only learn through pain, especially emotional pain. To achieve that growth you will probably have to go through some very difficult and possibly traumatic experiences with a soul mate partner. A twin flame relationship, however, is primarily a union between old souls, who have already attained great insight and growth through relationship experiences in the current as well as past life incarnations. Most twin flame relationships give positive life lesson experiences through the merging of the twin flame partnership while encountering spiritual growth through the twin flame union.
- Almost every soul mate relationship will go through a period of separation. During this time of separation you are being challenged to address your individual issues, whatever they may be, before the soul mate relationship has an opportunity to comeback together. Twin flames, on the other hand, have usually addressed their own issues and must now attain their growth through the relationship.
- Many soul mate partners are not ready to embrace the intensity of the soul mate karma and decide to completely run away. They may have fears or insecurities that need to be addressed before they can accept the soul mate challenge, leaving you feeling emotionally devastated. Many twin flames have an awareness the twin flame partnership is the spiritual union contained within their soul blueprint and are often ready to accept the twin flame destiny.
- Twin flames, when joined together, seem to recognize the divine union between and are ready to honor that union. In a soul mate relationship, only one may actually believe in the soul mate connection, while the other refuses to acknowledge it and run for the hills. At this point you must consider if they truly are a soul mate or if you are projecting or romantic fantasies onto them. This is when you have to admit they are a false soulmate.
- Once a twin flame relationship is in play, it is almost impossible to end it or break it because you are brought together by divine purpose and divine plan. You have done a lot of work, throughout your lifetimes, to support your twin flame destiny. A soul mate relationship, can be broken for many reasons. Many soul mate relationships are not intended to last a lifetime. We attract soul mate partners at the point in our lives where we require a specific lesson. Once that lesson is achieved, there is no guarantee the soul mate will remain in our lives.
- The true purpose of twin flame relationship is provide a gift of value to the world. Whatever that gift may be, is for the twin flames to create and deliver, for the benefit of others who are living on the planet. The purpose of a soul mate relationship is to provide personal growth and life lessons for the individual personal growth of the two soul mates.
In some circumstances, there are soul mate relationships, who can morph into a twin flame partnership if they can successfully overcome their challenges, obstacles and personal growth. At the end of the day does it really matter if you are soul mates, twin flames, kindred spirits or just Ricky and Lucy? Take time to enjoy your relationship, get to know the person and just see what happens without trying to run to the finish line.